Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ode to Hannah

Our Hannah-Bear

Hannah made this in art class. She sculpted it from a block of styrofoam.
Hannah is our artistic, beautiful and loving daughter. Her creative abilities always amaze us! She made this poem for one of her classes.  



I Belong

By Hannah Mietzner

I belong to dusty torn photos of,
Glistening ruby flats wrapped around my feet,
A checkered dress flaring down beneath my knees,
Braids streaming below with the scent of a blooming rose, 
And a rapturous smile wanting Dorothy to see.

I belong to moist filling fudge shredded on my cheeks,
"I'm saving it for later."
Slippery noodles boiled with a dash of round tomatoes,
"Thanks for dinner."
Plump berries tumbling on my tongue,
"No more until you eat your vegetables."

I belong to rapid roller coasters weaving through the crowded parks,
"We're gonna die!" "You're so dramatic!"
Cruising around the pocket Puget Sound,
Hula dancers hanging loose by the windy beaches,
And a far-flung trip to the book country, Italy.

I belong with Papa and Ba Ngoai on a Merry Christmas day,
A jovial spring time drifting candle flames away,
Dinging on doors with a costume surprise,
Hunting for colorful eggs hidden in the wavy emerald grass.

I belong to gliding down turf sidelines, 
A cross down the vast, foggy field,
Maneuvering to get to the narrow knitted goal,
And a POW!
A kick leading above the goalie's gloved fingers,
And a HORRAY from the fans.

I belong to rambunctious, tippy-toe sprints of a tiny 2 year old brother,
A gala in the hands of a helpful Mother and step dad,
Lounging in the lay-back chair while navy braces grab my teeth,
And a new elementary friend who is affable, caring, and a laughable person.

I belong to an educated learning tool, 
Sitting in my head being used this very moment,
With the character of trust to not live a lie,
Grinning at the people I shake hands with,
And staying positive with the bad news I get.

That's where I belong.



This weekend Hannah played in her one and only tennis tournament of the year. She did great! Cleared the first round and played real hard in the second. Unfortunately she didn't win the tournament, but we are real proud of her for trying her best!




No comments: