Sunday, August 25, 2013

Raging Waters

Our adventure yesterday led us to a water park we have never been to. Apparently it is ranked #3 out of 10 nationally. We were excited to get there. It was a 30 minute drive from our hotel room and the kids kept asking us to find a radio station. We searched and searched but only found a smooth listening radio station (which I liked) and then the classic rock station (which Mark liked) the kids settled for the classic rock since it had some better beats. U2 came on and we were all pretty happy! 

We arrived at our destination and tried to drink a bunch of water before we went in. We were told by the website and by the parking permit that there was no food or drink allowed in the park. We mostly drink water, so we were disappointed that we were unable to just pack some waters. They do search the bags and we didn't want our water thrown out. As we got into the big line and slowly inched our way forward, they searched our bags and we came out clean. I glanced over and saw TONS of water in a small cooler that someone else was bringing into the park. I asked the lady who searched our bag about it and she said that water was allowed, just not soda or any other drinks. As she was saying this, I glanced up and the a big sign says "no food or drink allowed". Well strike one for us this morning! They apparently do not consider water as a drink here in California! 

We were there at opening (but so was everyone else) and all the chairs were taken. I asked an employee if there was shade anywhere and he pointed to a hill with some trees. We headed there and decided to give it a try. It wound up being the best thing of the whole park because it was far away from all the noise and the tree brought us shade for most of the day.

As everyone settled in and started putting their sunscreen on, I left in search for some water. All the food places were closed and would open later, but I was excited to spot a vending machine. It was $4.00 for a 20oz bottle of water, but I was thirsty and I knew we needed to stay hydrated! I put my $5.00 in the machine and pushed the button. Then the words "sold out" flashed. No! I then tried the Gatorade, and then was desperate enough to even try pushing the fanta button. Everything was flashing those two little evil words at me. I tried my best to keep calm and headed for customer service. They said to wait and someone will help me with the vending machine shortly. Waiting in the sun and knowing my family had no clue what is keeping me so long I was starting to break down. Finally someone headed straight for me and handed me a bottled water from the vending machine. I was so happy I didn't even care that it actually cost me $5.00 and not $4.00 since he made no reference in the $1.00 change I should have gotten. Should I Make that strike 2? Perhaps not, it ended good to me!

Next stop the water! The kids headed off to the big stuff and Mark and I took Ashton to the little kids section. Ashton wasn't too sure at first but started having fun. After a bit we all started getting hungry and met up for lunch. We decided to head off together and try a big ride that Ashton could go on. The lines were very Long and they didn't even seem to be moving very fast. After waiting 20 minutes in the same spot we got out of line and headed for the raging river. That was probably the highlight for Ashton. He was apprehensive at first but then wanted to keep going around and around! 
I had to purchase this photo they took of us in the raging river! It may be the only one of 5 of us the whole trip.

Mark and Ben headed off to do one water slide and we kept going around the river.  We met up and it looked like Ben was exhausted and done for the rest of the day. Luckily Hannah was still willing to keep going and Mark and her took off for more. Ashton, Ben and I relaxed under the shade and enjoyed some down time. Mark and Hannah returned 1 1/2 hours later and said that was only one ride, the line was so long and the slide wasn't worth it. That is a strike for Mark and he was done with the lines. Ashton finished strong and loved the other little toddler area! We had to tell him it was time to go and he was pretty disappointed. 

Upon arriving at the hotel we sat and ate our Subways and had complimentary chips salsa and beverages. I believe I heard Mark say this was the best part of the trip so far. Lets hope our day at California Adventure turns out to be a good one!

No comments: